This weekend I attended a workshop about poverty and how organizations can help people help themselves out of it. It was a very powerful experience that challenged my perspective in many ways. The training was based on the book Bridges Out of Poverty by Ruby Payne, Ph.D. and Terie Dreussi-Smith. As a member of the middle class, it takes some thought to imagine what a day is like in the life of someone living in poverty. In my world, I can plan ahead for the future financially because I make more than I spend. I can drive to where I want or need to go on the time frame of my choosing. If I am sick, I can get medical care when I need it without problems. The luxury I enjoy enough to cultivate as a hobby is of course food. I can choose to eat what I want and prepare it in the way that pleases me. None of this is the case for someone living in poverty. And yes, I knew this all of this before the workshop (a little credit, please...), but talking about it and hearing stories of people who have lived it completely shifted my perspective. You can read a bit more about this workshop in a well-written article by the St. Pete Times.
I am blessed beyond measure to have been born into a family where we did not live in the tyranny of the moment wondering where our next meal was going to come from. I have so much to be thankful for with every passing day. In my life I do strive to savor each proverbial bite.... and along those lines I did have a few good meals this past week.
Those who know me well understand that I take great pride in running an extremely efficient kitchen. That basically means waste not want not. Chicken bones and vegetable scraps go into a bag in the freezer for homemade stock. Kitchen Sink Pasta is a regular item of menu rotation. (This basically means "everything but the kitchen sink" goes into the pasta to clean out the crisper drawer/pantry.) And now, I'm happy to report on yet another way to maximize efficiency in my kitchen... fall decor turned dinner entree!
See?
Zoomed in version:
Delicata squash and acorn squash with cinnamon candle and pumpkin-colored mums. Charming fall decor, right? I smile when I look at it. Look what happens when I cut the squash in half, bake them, scoop out the flesh and add to brown rice, chicken sausage, sage, onions and peas with mozzarella on top. Tell me this doesn't make you hungry...
I also made this.
Butternut squash and whole wheat penne pasta with wild mushrooms, pine nuts, goat cheese and sage. This was lunch for the week. (Yes, I cooked the butternut squash before it was used for decoration.)
In the spirit of utilitarianism, I also saved the squash seeds and baked them. When they come out of the oven, add your own spice mixture. Mine was sea salt, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder and ginger, but you can make anything that suits you. Look at this month's Food Network magazine for suggestions. They are addictive and a nice healthy snack.
I didn't forget about dessert. I had some apples and pears that only had about a day or two left before going soft, so I made them into a crustless pie. Peel the apples and pears and splash with lemon juice. Make a mixture of brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks with a heavy splash of amaretto and toss with the fruit. Throw into a pie dish and bake at 300 degrees for about 25 minutes. My kitchen smells like heaven!
Happy eating to all, and remember to give thanks for every forkful.
No comments:
Post a Comment